Friday, February 20, 2009

"if a had to pick one single reason for my love of sport..."

If I had to give one single reason for my love of sports it would be this: I love the tests of the human spirit. I love to see defeated teams refuse to die. I love to see impossible odds confronted. I love to see impossible dares accepted. I love to see the incredible grace lavished on simple plays—the simple flashing beauty of perfect form—but, even more, I love to see the heart that refuses to give in, refuses to panic, seizes opportunity, slips through defenses, exerts itself far beyond capacity, forges momentarily of its bodily habitat an instrument of almost perfect will. In all my life I have never known such thoroughly penetrating joys as playing with an inspired team against a team we recognized from the beginning had every reason to beat us. I love it when the other side is winning and there are only moments left; I love it when it would be reasonable to be reconciled to defeat, but one will not, cannot; I love it when a last set of calculated, reckless, free, and impassioned efforts is crowned with success. When I see others play that way, I am full of admiration, of gratitude. That is the way I believe the human race should live. When human beings actually accomplish it, it is for me as if the intentions of the Creator were suddenly limpid before our eyes: as though into the fiery heart of the Creator we had momentary insight.

- The Joy of Sports by Michael Novak

1 comment:

  1. This is the same text I gave to each "competitive" player (and their parent) at the start and end of the seasons I have coached...whether it was soccer or basketball. I've experienced competing in the 'pressure cooker' as a linebacker in american football; and these words ring true to the value of sports. I once coached a clever 'C3 level type' girls basketball player (last on the bench), who delivered the game winner in a barn-burner game that counted...beyond anyone's expectations. My thought was she could be the one standing in front of the tank at Tiananmen Square, because she had the courage to do what no one else dared to do. Whether it be with the pen of otherwise. For that, her moment fills me with gratitude!

    ReplyDelete